EMC’s Pre-budget Submission Online
Electric Mobility Canada is proud to unveil its written submission to ensure Canada’s competitiveness in electro-mobility, in advance of the 2019 Federal budget. Here are our 5 recommandations to the government:
- Recommendation 1: That the federal government sign a contribution agreement with Electric Mobility Canada worth $1 million per annum to promote and grow Canadian e-mobility businesses.
- Recommendation 2 : That the federal government invest $25 million in a national public education and awareness campaign.
- Recommendation 3 : That the federal government exempt electric vehicles (EVs) from the Goods and Services Tax (GST). The government should encourage all provinces to at least match this financial contribution on a per vehicle basis. The budget associated with this recommendation is $50 million in 2019.
- Recommendation 4 : That the federal government implement an EV incentive rebate program ranging from a $5,000 purchase incentive on battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs), to a maximum incentive of $2,500 on plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) – depending on the size of the battery. The budget associated with this recommendation is $94 million in 2019.
- Recommendation 5 : That the federal government decrease the taxable benefit associated with driving an EV by reducing the standby charge to a level that is comparable to (or lower than) that of a conventional vehicle. The budget associated with this recommendation is $8 million in 2019
Last year, the Standing Committee on Finance included a section dedicated to electric vehicles, and EMC’s recommendations were clearly quoted. With our multiple meetings in 2018 with the governement, we are confident to be heard this year again.
Canada must step forward with policies and regulations that support electromobility, signalling to the world that Canada is open for EV-related investments.
Read the full Pre-Budget Submission on EMC’s website.