To this day, three Canadian provinces offer rebates for EV purchase.
Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia – Point of Sale Incentive Program
Potential Rebate: up to $5,000
Up to $5,000 for BEV, PHEV and FCV.
Potential Rebate: from $2,000 to $50,000
Provides financial incentive for specialty-use vehicles.
BC SCRAP-IT Electric Vehicle Program
Potential Rebate: up to $6,000
Provides financial incentive for early retirement of old vehicles that are replaced with lower emitting options.
Electric Vehicle Incentive Program (EVIP) – ENDS ON SEPTEMBER 10, 2018
- Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
- Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Potential Rebate: up to $14,000
Ontario individuals, businesses, and organizations that purchase or lease a new plug-in hybrid electric or battery electric vehicle may be eligible for a rebate of up to $14,000:
- Vehicles with a battery capacity from 5 to 16 kilowatt-hours (kWh) are eligible for incentives ranging between $6,000 to $10,000 based upon the battery size of the vehicle;
- Vehicles with a battery capacity of larger than 16kWh are also eligible for an additional $3,000 incentive;
- Vehicles with five or more seats are also eligible for an additional $1,000 incentive;
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 to $150,000 are eligible for a maximum incentive value of $3,000;
- Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) and PHEVS with an MSRP of $150,000 or greater are not eligible for an incentive; and,
- Leased vehicles are eligible for an EVIP incentive. Vehicles with a 12 month lease term will receive 33% of the incentive, 24 month lease term receives 66% of the incentive and leased vehicles with a 36 month or longer term will receive the full incentive.
Drive Electric Purchase or Lease Rebate Program
Potential Rebate: up to $8,000
If the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) is less than $75 000: rebate of $8,000.
If the MSRP of the vehicle is between $75 000 and $125 000: rebate of $3,000.
If the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) is less than $75 000: rebate of $500, $4 000 or $8 000 (the amount of the rebate is calculated according to the electric battery capacity).