Our drive to accelerate the adoption of electric transportation in Canada frequently requires that we reference existing science and studies in support of our position. Increasingly, there is a need to debunk mis-information that is portrayed by the Media, however, we often find ourselves lacking access to a single, comprehensive resource to draw on for supporting facts.
EMC is building such a resource for its members! With your input, we will create a Toolbox of Whitepapers that reference credible research in support of topics that you recommend. The result will be a comprehensive series of single-page documents comprised of an executive summary, backed by footnotes, referencing existing science, studies, and reports.
Sample topics that we’re already considering include:
– What is the impact of EV purchase incentives? Do they work? Why are they necessary (WRT: critical timeline for GHG reduction, government’s role in emerging technologies, etc.
– What is the impact of EV’s on the electrical grid?
– What is the viability of EV’s in cold climates?
– Are EV’s practical with today’s public charging infrastructure?
– A well to wheels lifecycle comparison of GHG emissions for EV vs ICE vehicles
– GHG impact of EV’s vs. ICE based on electricity generation mix (eg: how do EV’s compare against ICE when electricity is generated by coal)
– Lifecycle ownership cost comparison of EV vs comparable quality ICE: a matrix for different levels of mileage and different parts of the country (reflecting differences in price of electricity and price of fuel)
– Environmental impact of lithium mining for EV batteries
– EV battery lifecycle and end-of-life repurposing / recycling; what is the cost and environmental impact?
– EV adoption impact on the Canadian economy (ie: jobs / increased disposable income due to lower operating cost / fuel revenue that remains in Canada, etc.)
Stay tuned for the publication of our next white papers!