To this day, three Canadian provinces offer rebates for EV purchase.
Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia – Point of Sale Incentive Program
Potential Rebate: up to $5,000
Up to $5,000 for BEV, PHEV and FCV.
Potential Rebate: from $2,000 to $50,000
Provides financial incentive for specialty-use vehicles.
BC SCRAP-IT Electric Vehicle Program
Potential Rebate: up to $6,000
Provides financial incentive for early retirement of old vehicles that are replaced with lower emitting options.
Electric Vehicle Incentive Program (EVIP)
Potential Rebate: up to $14,000
Ontario individuals, businesses, and organizations that purchase or lease a new plug-in hybrid electric or battery electric vehicle may be eligible for a rebate of up to $14,000:
- Vehicles with a battery capacity from 5 to 16 kilowatt-hours (kWh) are eligible for incentives ranging between $6,000 to $10,000 based upon the battery size of the vehicle;
- Vehicles with a battery capacity of larger than 16kWh are also eligible for an additional $3,000 incentive;
- Vehicles with five or more seats are also eligible for an additional $1,000 incentive;
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 to $150,000 are eligible for a maximum incentive value of $3,000;
- Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) and PHEVS with an MSRP of $150,000 or greater are not eligible for an incentive; and,
- Leased vehicles are eligible for an EVIP incentive. Vehicles with a 12 month lease term will receive 33% of the incentive, 24 month lease term receives 66% of the incentive and leased vehicles with a 36 month or longer term will receive the full incentive.
Drive Electric Purchase or Lease Rebate Program
Potential Rebate: up to $8,000
If the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) is less than $75 000: rebate of $8,000.
If the MSRP of the vehicle is between $75 000 and $125 000: rebate of $3,000.
If the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) is less than $75 000: rebate of $500, $4 000 or $8 000 (the amount of the rebate is calculated according to the electric battery capacity).